Last updated on September 11th, 2023
Slow Cooker Beef Tips and Gravy
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds stew meat
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 medium green bell pepper diced
- 8 ounces sliced white mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3 whole pepperoncini peppers
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 (.87 ounce) envelope brown gravy mix
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Heat the oil in a large stock pot over medium high heat.
- Season the meat generously with salt and pepper. Add the meat to the oil and cook until browned, about 5-7 minutes. You may need to brown the beef in batches to get a good sear. If so, drain any accumulated grease between batches.
- Add the seared meat to the slow cooker.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, mushrooms and garlic.
- Whisk together the the broth and brown gravy mix. Pour the broth over the top.
- Add the pepperoncini peppers and butter to the top.
- Cook on low for five hours or on high for three hours.
- Remove the lid and spoon out a few tablespoons of the cooking liquid into a small mixing bowl. Whisk in the cornstarch until smooth. Stir the cornstarch slurry into the beef tips.
- Replace the lid and continue to cook for one more hour.
- Remove the pepperoncini peppers before serving. Discard the peppers or remove the stems, chop them up and add them back into the pot.
- Season the beef tips with salt and pepper to taste. Serve over hot egg noodles, rice or mashed potatoes.