Last updated on September 11th, 2023
Instant Pot Beef Tips and Gravy
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds stew meat
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 medium green bell pepper diced
- 8 ounces sliced white mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3 whole pepperoncini peppers
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 (.87 ounce) envelope brown gravy mix
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Select the SAUTÉ function on the Instant Pot and set the heat to MORE. Add the oil and heat until the display says HOT.
- Season the meat generously with salt and pepper. Add the meat to the oil and cook until browned, about 5-7 minutes. You may need to brown the beef in batches to get a good sear. If so, drain any accumulated grease between batches.
- Add the onion, bell peppers and mushrooms to the pot and sauté until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add the broth to the pot and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the pepperoncini peppers, butter, and brown gravy mix. Stir to combine.
- Turn the SAUTÉ function off. Secure and lock the lid.
- Select MANUAL and set the timer for 15 minutes.
- Allow the pressure to release naturally, then remove the lid.
- Spoon out a few tablespoons of the gravy liquid from the pot into a small mixing bowl. Whisk the cornstarch into the liquid until it's smooth. Stir the cornstarch mixture into the beef tips and gravy.
- Turn the SAUTÉ function on again, but this time reduce the heat to LESS.
- Allow the gravy to come to a simmer and continue to simmer until the gravy begins to thicken.
- Turn the heat off and allow the beef tips to sit for 10 minutes before serving.
- Remove the pepperoncini peppers before serving. Discard the peppers or remove the stems, chop them up and add them back into the pot.
- Season the beef tips with salt and pepper to taste. Serve over hot egg noodles, rice or mashed potatoes.