Last updated on March 30th, 2023
Black beans, andouille sausage, and tomatoes are simmered in a slow cooker. Right before serving top with runny oven baked eggs and cheese. Perfect comfort food!
This post may contain affiliate links. Click here to learn more about how affiliate links are used on this site.
I’ll admit, I don’t mind grocery shopping so much. As a mom, I’ll take alone time any way I can get it. Even if it means wandering the canned soup aisle.
What I hate is meal planning. I think it’s the responsibility of having to come up with a meal for every single night of the week.
But you know what I hate even more than meal planning? That anxious feeling I get in the pit of my stomach when dinner time approaches and I remember you don’t have a plan. Meal planning is a necessary evil when you’re trying to stick to a budget and your time is stretched thin.
I do try to incorporate news recipes from time to time to keep things from getting stale. However, I am thankful for those old standbys that can fill in when I’m just stuck. Like this budget friendly Oven Baked Eggs with Andouille and Black Beans. I can make it in my slow cooker and there is always enough for leftovers (killing two days with one meal? YES!).
Not only does preparing this in a slow cooker save time, but as the ingredients cook they create this sort of sauce. Right before serving, preheat your broiler. Pour the sausage bean mixture into an oven safe skillet (cast iron works well) or into individual ramekins. Top with one egg and shredded cheese. I like to broil these just until the egg is set but the yolk is still runny. The runny yolk mixed in with the sauce from the sausage and beans – it’s a mouthful made in heaven! It’s perfect comfort food for a chilly fall night.
You Might Also Like:
Oven Baked Eggs with Andouille and Black Beans
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 jalapeno peppers diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes or 4 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound andouille or smoked sausage sliced
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 handful cilantro chopped, optional
- 1 ripe avocado sliced, optional
- Combine all ingredients except cilantro, eggs, cheese, and avocado in the crock of a slow cooker.
- Cook on low for six hours or high for three hours.
- Preheat the broiler. Spoon mixture into an 8 x 8 casserole dish or into six individual oven-safe 16 ounce ramekins. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Using the back of a spoon, make and indention in the sausage-bean mixture for each of the eggs. Crack one egg into the center of each indention. Broil until eggs are cooked to your preference, 5-7 minutes for runny eggs, 7-10 minutes for eggs that are more well-done.
- Garnish each serving with cilantro and avocado slices, if desired.