Last updated on May 23rd, 2023
Hummus gets a Southern spin in this black eyed pea hummus seasoned with crispy bacon and cumin. Perfect for dipping pita, chips, or vegetables
Saturdays used to be the day I brought out all the stops when it came to food. It was the day I reserved for trying out a new recipe, experimenting with a new ingredient, or preparing a tried and true favorite that maybe took a little more time to prepare, so it was saved for a special occasion.
Now that I have two wild little boys running around my house, I usually don’t have much energy left for cooking. Since the start of football season, we’ve been “tailgating” at home. About mid-to-late afternoon on Saturday, I prepare a few appetizers or finger foods. I spread it out on the kitchen table and everyone can graze. Everyone gets fed and I’m off the hook for dinner.
Black Eyed Pea hummus is a fun Southern twist on traditional hummus. It’s actually a pretty popular appetizer around here. Several local restaurants have a version of it on their menus. I chose to saute my peas in a bit of bacon grease, then add a dash of cumin to give it a smoky flavor. Once your prep work is done, this hummus is relatively easy to assemble — just toss everything in the blender and give it a spin. It’s perfect on pita bread, chips and veggies.
Bacon and Black Eyed Pea Hummus
- 3 strips of bacon cooked and chopped
- 2 cans 15 oz. each black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 small garlic clove minced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Pita bread sliced into wedges
- Combine bacon, black-eyed peas, garlic, water, lemon juice, tahini, and cumin in a blender or food processor. Process until mixture reaches a smooth consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer hummus to a small serving bowl. Drizzle olive oil over the top. Sprinkle with paprika and garnish with fresh cilantro
- Serve with pita wedges or fresh crudité.