Toasted bread holds crunchy fried green tomatoes topped with homemade pimento cheese in this unique Pimento Cheese and Fried Green Tomato Sandwich.
Not too long ago, I was mindlessly scrolling through my Facebook newsfeed, when I came across a post from a local restaurant. The post was promoting their daily lunch special, which happened to be fried green tomato grilled cheese sandwiches with pimento cheese.
I have this habit, when food inspiration hits, of immediately texting my husband the idea before it vanishes into thin air. I picked up the phone from its usual spot next to me on the desk and texted something like, ”Fried green tomato and pimento cheese grilled cheese sandwiches. This is happening.”
That was kinda the reaction I was hoping for.
I usually reserve fried green tomatoes for the summertime when I can walk out our back door and pick a fresh one straight from the vine. But this recipe was on my mind and I wasn’t waiting until summer time to make it. A store bought green tomato was going to have to do for now.
It was everything I hope it would be. The green tomatoes are tangy and slightly chewy on the inside, salty crunchy on the outside. The smoky pimento cheese provided just the right amount of creaminess. Smoosh that between some rustic sourdough bread slathered with butter and toasted on a cast iron skillet, and it’s a sandwich made in heaven. We ate these for dinner and again for lunch the next day.
You Might Also Enjoy:
Pimento Cheese and Fried Green Tomato Sandwich
- Four slices sourdough bread
- 8 fried green tomatoes
- ½ - ¾ cup pimento cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare a skillet with cooking spray (cast iron works best). Heat skillet over medium heat.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread. Flip the bread over and spread the pimento cheese on the other side.
- Place two layers on fried green tomatoes on two slices of bread. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. For added cheesiness, spread additional pimento cheese between the tomato layers.
- Top with remaining slices of bread.
- Carefully place sandwiches in the hot skillet. Grill until bread is brown and toasted. Carefully flip and toast the other side until bread is brown and the cheese is gooey.
- Remove sandwich from skillet. Cut in half.