The only homemade chicken pot pie recipe you’ll ever need. Tender chicken breasts, herbs, and vegetables are slowly simmer then baked into a delicious flaky pie crust.
Sorry the blog posts have become few and far between in the last few weeks. I think it’s only fair to share a little bit of what’s going on in my life. I was laid off from my job back in October and have since taken a part-time (i.e. 39 hours a week) job at a gourmet food and kitchen store during the holidays to make some extra money. The job has been fun and I am working with some awesome people, but I have had little to no time to think about cooking, much less writing and taking pictures. Hopefully things will turn around for us soon and I will have a little more free time on my hands after Christmas.
So, with that out of the way, chicken pot pie is one of my husband’s favorite meals. If I had to take a guess how favorite, I think it would at least make the top ten. He is partial to the frozen brand made by Swanson and he has been known to eat pot pie for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
I thought it would be nice to treat him to a homemade chicken pot pie made completely from scratch. I made my own stock using fresh veggies, used fresh herbs, and even made my own pie crust.
Chicken Pot Pie
- 4 large chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 pie crusts* thawed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 carrots cut into 1/2 inch circles
- 1 box frozen peas
- 1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon of water
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Melt butter in a large stockpot over medium heat. Gradually add flour and whisk until mixture forms a paste.
- Slowly add half of the chicken broth, whisking constantly to prevent lumps. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add chicken, carrots, and peas. Add more chicken broth if needed. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roll pie crusts out onto a floured surface. Invert four crocks or bowls onto the pastry. Using a knife, trace the outline of the bowls, leaving about a ¼-inch overhang.
- Fill each crock to the top chicken mixture. Place a pie crust over the top of each bowl. Press the edges into the rim of each bowl to form a seal. Brush each pastry with egg mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Arrange crocks on a baking sheet covered with aluminum foil (to catch and leakage while cooking). Cook for 20 minutes or until the pie crust is golden brown.