Last updated on May 23rd, 2023
Smoky ham, tender potatoes, sweet yellow corn and cheddar cheese are perfect together in this creamy, cheesy corn chowder recipe.
Tropical Storm Lee blew through my area while the family and I were enjoying our time in Chicago. Bad news is, we came home to a leaking roof and water damage to our guest bathroom. Good news is, the temperature dropped about 30 degrees. For a few days, it felt like fall.
When I was a kid, summer was my favorite season. School was out, there was swimming, my birthday, and usually a family vacation. Now that I am grown and don’t have the luxury of getting June and July off, I think my favorite time of year is when you can actually feel the season change, i.e. winter into spring, summer into fall.
A few things I love about fall:
- Being able to turn the air conditioner off, throw open the windows, and sit comfortably in my living room without breaking into a sweat.
- Cinnamon spiced anything.
- Mulled Cider candles from Wal-Mart.
- Brightly colored giant mums and fat pumpkins lined up at the farmer’s market.
Soup is another reason I love cooler temps. We actually eat soup year round at my house, but let’s face it – when it’s 104 degrees outside, no one is looking for a new soup recipe. So I’ve been sitting on this recipe for corn chowder for several months.
Of course, a few days later the temps jumped back up into the 90’s, but not before we got to enjoy this delicious chowder.
More Chowder Recipes:
Ham and Cheddar Corn Chowder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion peeled and diced
- 3 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 5 medium red-skinned potatoes cubed
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 cans (16 oz. each) whole kernel corn, undrained
- 2 cans (16 oz. each) cream-style corn
- 4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 green onion sliced, plus more for garnish
- 4 cups cooked diced ham
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium high heat.
- Add onion, carrots, and celery and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add the potatoes, chicken stock, cayenne pepper, and coriander.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer, covered, for 35 minutes.
- Add whole kernel corn with its juice, creamed corn, cheese , and milk.
- Simmer for an additional 7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Season with Worcestershire.
- Add sliced green onion and diced ham. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve topped with additional green onions if desired.