Shredded chicken breast, black beans, and smoked cheddar make this chicken quiche a little more robust than your average quiche.
I’m not going to go so far as to say this is a man’s quiche. But maybe it’s a happy medium. I served this to my husband and at one point he did actually exclaim, “Man, that’s a good quiche!”
Then he paused and said, “I can’t believe I actually said that.”
I find it very sexy that my man is confident enough to admit he likes quiche.
I was served a similar version at Broad Street Bakery here in Jackson and loved the combination so much I decided to recreate it at home. The smoked cheddar and black beans give this a distinct smoky flavor. If you would prefer less smokiness, I would suggest substituting the smoked cheese for sharp cheddar.
Chicken, Cheddar, and Black Bean Quiche
- Pie crust dough for one 9-inch pie if using mini tart pans, you will need two
- 8 ounces shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup black beans rinsed, drained
- 8 ounces smoked cheddar cheese grated
- 4 eggs slightly beaten
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Fit pie crust into a 9-inch pie dish, fluted tart pan, or six mini tart pans. Place pan(s) in the refrigerator and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove pan(s) from the refrigerator. Fill crust(s) with pie weights or line each pan with waxed paper and fill with dried rice or beans. Bake for about 12-14 minutes, remove weights or beans, then bake for an additional 8-10 minutes until crusts are golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack. Do not turn off the oven.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, beans and cheddar. Add eggs, milk, salt and pepper, and mix until well-combined. Pour mixture into the cooked pie shell(s). Return to oven and bake for 35-40 minutes or until tops are slightly browned and the middle of the quiche is set.
- Remove from the oven and allow quiche(s) to sit for 10 minutes before serving