Last updated on March 21st, 2023
This easy, make-ahead ham and cheese breakfast casserole combines crispy tater tots, country ham, veggies and cheese for a delicious and satisfying meal. Serve it for breakfast or dinner!
This post is sponsored by Clifty Farm. The opinions contained within are my own.
This post may contain affiliate links. Click here to learn more about how affiliate links are used on this site.
In my opinion, a good breakfast casserole is an all-encompassing meal. Even though it has the word breakfast in its name, I never limit myself to only enjoying it as the first meal of the day. In fact, the day I made this Tater Tot Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole, I served it to my family for dinner later that night. No shame.
About Clifty Farm Country Meats
Breakfast casseroles are versatile not only because they can be enjoyed for any meal, but also in the ingredients they include. Pretty much anything goes and you are free to get as creative as you like. Instead of including breakfast sausage or bacon in my casserole, I chose my favorite brand of country ham from Clifty Farm Country Meats.
It is by far the best country ham I’ve ever eaten, whether I’m frying up a few slices for breakfast with a little Red-Eye Gravy or using it to season a side of Southern Green Beans with Ham and Potatoes. Their products can be found in retail stores throughout the country. I purchase mine at my local Kroger.
How to make Tater Tot Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole
This ham and cheese breakfast bake is very easy to throw together. Even better, it can be made in advance!
Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F. Heat 1-1/2 teaspoons of cooking oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add one large diced red bell pepper and three sliced green onions to the hot skillet. Sauté for about five minutes until the peppers and green onions are tender.
Next, add the diced Clifty Farm country ham and cook until the ham is light pink. This will only take about two minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
While the veggies and ham are cooling, start whisking together eight large eggs in a large mixing bowl with 1/2 cup of milk, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Once that is combined, add one cup of shredded cheddar cheese and the veggie/ham mixture. Stir to combine.
I am not a fan of regular hash browns unless they are fried, golden brown and crisp. I did not want to fool with the extra step frying up my hash browns, so I opted for the next best thing – frozen tater tots. The golden crispy layer added another dimension of flavor to the casserole. I didn’t even need to thaw them before baking.
Arrange the frozen tater tots in a single layer on the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 x 2 inch casserole dish. I purchased the large 32-ounce bag, but you will have a few leftover in the bag. Pour the egg mixture over the top of the casserole. Bake the casserole for 45 minutes until the eggs are set in the center.
Can ham and cheese breakfast casserole be made ahead?
Since having kids, I totally appreciate a recipe that I can assemble while my boys are at school or after they’ve gone to bed (and the house is quiet), and then put in the oven later. Simply follow the recipe up until it’s time to bake. Cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil and place in the refrigerator. I recommend baking the casserole within 24 hours.
Can ham and cheese breakfast casserole be frozen?
The unbaked ham and egg casserole can be frozen. Again, follow the recipe up until it’s time to bake. Cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil and place on a level surface in the freezer. The casserole will last up to three months in the freezer.
Before baking, allow the tater tot breakfast casserole to thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove the foil and bake as directed.
Ham and cheese breakfast casserole will last up to four days in the refrigerator. I do not recommend freezing the baked casserole. Once thawed, the eggs can become watery and rubbery.
More Clifty Farm Ham Recipes:
- Country Ham with Red Eye Gravy
- Ham and Corn Casserole with Cream Cheese
- Southern Green Beans with Ham and Potatoes
- How to Cook Turnip Greens
More Breakfast Recipe Ideas:
- Oven Baked Eggs with Hollandaise Sauce
- Buttermilk Pancakes from Scratch with Homemade Orange Syrup
- Sausage Gravy and Biscuits
Tater Tot Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oil
- 1 large red bell pepper diced
- 3 green onions chopped
- 16 ounces Clifty Farm country ham, diced
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces 8-ounce package shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 32 ounces frozen tater tots
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat oil over medium heat.
- Add the bell peppers and green onions and saute for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add the diced ham and cook until the ham is light pink, about 2 minutes more. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt and pepper.
- Add 1 cup of the shredded cheese and the entire ham mixture. Stir to combine.
- Arrange the tater tots in a single layer on the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 x 2 inch casserole dish.
- Pour the egg mixture over the top. Sprinkle with the remaining one cup of cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes until the eggs are set.