Last updated on June 6th, 2023
Homemade mayonnaise is super delicious and so easy to make. Whip up this basic mayonnaise recipe today in only a few minutes.
In the summertime, I adore a good bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich on homemade bread with a healthy slather of mayonnaise. Until recently, I never gave much thought to my mayonnaise. They’re all the same, right?
Then I made my own mayonnaise from scratch. And you know what? No, all mayo is NOT the same. Homemade mayonnaise is creamier and tastier than anything I’ve tasted from a jar. To the point where I found myself eating my homemade mayonnaise straight from the jar with a spoon. What?!
A Basic Mayonnaise Recipe
All you need to make homemade mayonnaise at home are four ingredients – eggs, vegetable oil, white vinegar and salt. A blender is also useful. I used my handheld immersion blender, but you could also use a standard blender or a food processor.
An Important Tip
This recipe calls for three egg yolks and one egg white. Eggs are easier to separate when they are still cold from the refrigerator. But once you separate the egg, let the yolks and the egg white come to room temperature – at least 70 degrees.
Why is this necessary? Room temperature eggs produce more volume when whipped – kind of like when making meringue. If your eggs are too warm or too cool, you won’t get the whipped creamy results you want.
Blend Everything Together
Start by placing the egg yolks and egg white in a mixing bowl or in the bowl of a blender or food processor. Pulse for a few seconds until the yolks and white are lightly beaten.
Add the salt and vinegar. With the blender on low, slowly start to steam in the oil. Within a few minutes, you’ll start to notice the mayonnaise forming.
How to Store Homemade Mayo
Since this includes raw eggs, you’ll need to be sure to store the mayonnaise in the refrigerator within two hours. Store it in a covered jar or container. If store properly, homemade mayonnaise will last for two weeks.
Use Homemade Mayonnaise In:
- Southern Potato Salad
- Creamy Tuna and Macaroni Salad
- Southern Deviled Eggs
- Mississippi Comeback Sauce
- More Sauce and Condiment Recipes
Basic Mayonnaise Recipe
- 3 egg yolks room temperature
- 1 egg white room temperature
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable or canola oil
- Place the eggs yolks and egg white in a mixing bowl or in the bowl of a blender or food processor. Pulse until the eggs are lightly beaten.
- Add the vinegar and salt.
- Turn the blender on low. Slowly stream the oil into the blender.
- Continue to mix on low until the mayonnaise becomes thick and creamy.