These little muffins are perfect.
Perfect for breakfast. Perfect for brunch. Perfect for snacking. Perfect with a salad. Perfect with soup.
Eh, I’m beginning to sound like a Dr. Seuss book. . .
I always seem to make these for someone else. I make them for tailgating, I make them for office breakfast parties, I make them for baby showers. If the husband is lucky, I might let him have ONE.
But I never make them just for us. I finally changed my mind one lazy Saturday morning. If these are so darn good, why should I only reserve them for special occasions? Why can’t a lazy Saturday morning at home with a hot cup of coffee be a special occasion?
So we enjoyed them for breakfast. And then a few hours later as I walked through the kitchen and spotted the container sitting on the counter, I enjoyed them as a mid-morning snack. Then I enjoyed one for lunch. And another in the afternoon. And another right before dinner. And another . . .
Okay, I’ll stop here. You’ll just have to make them for yourself to see what I’m talking about.
Bacon Cheddar Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2-3 slices cooked bacon, chopped (or 1-2.5 ounce bag of store-bought real bacon bits)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ cayenne pepper
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup (8 oz.) sour cream
- ½ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cheese, bacon, chives, salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, combine melted butter, sour cream, and milk.
- Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients. Batter will be thick.
- Spoon batter into a greased muffin pan.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until muffins are golden and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.