Roasted corn salad is like a rainbow in a bowl. Roasted corn, cherry tomatoes, sliced avocado and purple onion are tossed in a light cilantro lime dressing.
This post may contain affiliate links. Click here to learn more about how affiliate links are used on this site.
The Husband and I have been on a salad kick this summer. Maybe it’s because we’ve had the most successful garden EVER this year. Or the fact that for awhile we had cucumbers coming out our ears followed by a plethora of tomatoes. We’ve been rotating through Asian Marinated Cucumber Salad and Tomato, Basil and Mozzarella Salad quite a bit.
Now we can add Roasted Corn Salad into the mix. Not only are the colors super vibrant and pretty, but there are so many tastes and textures going on – from the sweet crunchy roasted corn and the creamy avocado to the juicy burst of summer from the cherry tomatoes.
How to Make Roasted Corn Salad
You can absolutely roast your ears in the oven. But if The Husband has the grill fired up, I like to throw those puppies on the grill. I love the char on the kernels and the smoky flavor from the charcoal. Husk them and coat them with a good layer of olive oil, salt and pepper, then roast or grill them for about 15 minutes, flipping halfway through.
After the corn has finished cooking and is cool enough to the touch, start removing the kernels from the cob. This can be a big ol’ pain in the rear, but I’m going to show you a trick I learned a few years ago. If you have a bundt or tube pan that’s just sitting in the cabinet collecting dust, I have another use for it. Insert your corn, stem side down, into the hole in the center. Then take a sharp knife and start slicing right down the cob. The corn will fall down into the bowl of the pan.
Dump the corn into a large mixing bowl. Add half of a diced purple onion, small sliced cucumber, cherry tomatoes and chopped cilantro. In a separate bowl, whisk together the juice from one lime, olive oil, honey, cumin, salt and black pepper. Pour the dressing over the salad and stir until it’s combined.
Next, dice an avocado. Carefully toss the avocado with a little lime juice to prevent it from browning. Then gently fold it into the salad.
This recipe is delicious served the day of, but it’s even better the day after when the flavors have been able to marinate.
You Might Also Like:
Roasted Corn Salad with Honey Lime Dressing
- 5 ears fresh corn in the husk
- 1/2 of a small red onion finely chopped
- 1 small cucumber seeded & finely chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime plus 1 tablespoon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 avocado diced into ½ inch pieces
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees. Place the corn in the oven, in the husk. Roast until husks start to char and the corn is tender inside, about 20 minutes. Corn can also be cooked on the grill in the same manner. Remove corn from the oven and allow to cool. Remove husks. Using a sharp knife, slice the kernels from the cob.
- Place kernels in a large mixing bowl. Add the cucumber, cherry tomatoes and cilantro.
- In a liquid measuring cup, combine lime juice, olive oil, honey, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir until salt is dissolved. Pour the dressing over the salad. Stir to combine. Salad is best when allowed to chill for several hours before serving.
- Just before serving, toss the avocado in the remaining lime juice. Gently fold the avocado into the salad.