Sweet honey lends just the right amount of sweetness to smoky and spicy chipotle peppers in this recipe for honey chipotle chicken drumsticks.
The first time I ever tried chipotle peppers in adobo (I think it was in this pimento cheese recipe), I knew I had to find a way to use it in a barbecue sauce. Enter these honey chipotle chicken drumsticks.
These drumsticks have just a hint of sweetness from the honey, but the flavor is mostly spicy and smoky. You can totally adjust the heat on these. If you like a little more flame, add more peppers. If you are a complete spicy food wimp like me, I would stay close to the one tablespoon or less mark. One tablespoon provides just enough heat without feeling compelled to grab a glass of milk every ten seconds.
I have used this recipe in a variety of ways – chicken thighs, chicken quarters, slathered on chunks of chicken breast meat skewered and cooked over a grill. It would even adapt well to pork. It’s completely versatile and easy enough to throw together quickly on a busy weeknight.
Keep a stack of napkins handy. In true barbecued chicken form, it’s sloppy. But In my opinion, that’s a good sign.
Honey Chipotle Chicken Drumsticks
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 pound chicken drumsticks
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1-3 whole chipotle peppers in adobo pureed
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl, combine oil, coriander, cumin, and paprika. Stir until combined.
- Place drumsticks in a large resealable plastic bag. Pour spice mixture over the chicken. Toss until evenly coated.
- In a separate bowl, combine honey, chipotle peppers, mustard, chili powder, salt and pepper to taste. Reserve half the sauce for basting.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Arrange drumsticks on a prepared rack over a baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Baste chicken with the reserved honey chipotle sauce, flip, and baste the other side. Cook for an additional 20-30 minutes or until juices run clear.
- Alternately, prepare a grill for medium-high heat. Place chicken on the heated grill and cook for 10-15 minutes. Bast with honey chipotle sauce, flip drumsticks, and baste the other side with sauce. Grill for an additional 10-15 minutes or until juices run clear.
- Before serving, coat with additional honey chipotle sauce or arrange drumsticks on a platter with sauce on the side.