Black and blue steak salad recipe is a healthy meal that satisfies. Crisp salad greens are loaded with crunchy vegetables, salty blue cheese, tomatoes and thinly sliced roast beef. Top everything with a cool and creamy herb dressing.
Vegetables are something I struggle to eat enough of everyday. I will get on a good roll, and then boredom kicks in. The trick is to keep things interesting, like a hearty, flavorful salad loaded with lots of tastes and textures.
A few weeks ago I met up with potential freelance client at a local restaurant. It had been a busy morning that left me no time to eat, so I decided to just grab something while I was there.
As hungry as I was, I was SO tempted to order one of their blue plate specials — something fried with a side of cornbread or a hot buttery roll. The thought made my stomach grumble and my mouth water. But the little voice in the back of my head reminded me that probably wasn’t the healthiest choice.
In the end, my brain won out over my stomach. I settled on a black and blue steak salad. I knew the fiber in the vegetables would help me feel full, while the protein in the steak wouldn’t leave me with that unsatisfied feeling that I was just eating rabbit food.
The tender steak was seasoned just right and the vegetables were fresh and crunchy. I left feeling full for the rest of the day without all the guilt. Like so many of my recipes, I was inspired to recreate a black and blue steak salad at home so The Husband could try it.
Earlier that week, I prepared my Oven Roasted Roast Beef dinner. Afterwards, I saved the leftover meat with plans to use it in my salad a few days later. The candied pecans are so simple to make and really balance out the flavors of the salty blue cheese crumbles. The creamy herb salad dressing was just a matter of tossing a few ingredients in a blender and giving it a good whir. The fresh herbs in the dressing made me long to get outside and plant an herb garden this summer.
The steak in the salad makes it filling enough for stand alone meal on its own. With warmer weather and summer fast approaching, I’m looking forward to putting this on regular rotation at my house for those evenings when its just too hot to cook.
You Might Also Like:
|Shrimp and Spinach Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing||BLT Wedge with Blue Cheese Buttermilk Dressing||Creamy Herb Salad Dressing|
Black and Blue Steak Salad Recipe
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons water
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 4 cups fresh spring lettuce salad greens
- 1 red bell pepper cut into thin strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper cut into thin strips
- 1 cup chopped broccoli florets
- ½ cup diced tomato
- ½ cup blue cheese crumbles
- 8 ounces cooked roast beef sliced into strips
- Creamy herb salad dressing *
- Dissolve the brown sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, then stir until the mixture becomes thick. Stir in the pecans to coat. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- To assemble the salad, arrange the greens over a large platter (or large salad bowl). Spread the bell pepper strips and broccoli over the top.
- Sprinkle with tomatoes and blue cheese.
- Top with candied pecans.
- Arrange the steak strips over the top.
- Garnish with creamy herb salad dressing.