Over the summer, The Husband and I went on a big salad kick. After a long day, it’s just so nice to come home, throw a salad together, and call dinner done. Clean up is usually a breeze and it’s an easy, tasty way for me to get in a daily dose of veggies. Having a unusually successful garden this year kept me motivated as well.
Because we were eating salad at least once a week, it gave me the opportunity to enjoy a few our all-time favorite salads out of the recipe box. See some of our favorite salads here:
- Tomato, Basil, and Mozzarella Salad
- Asian Marinated Cucumber Salad
- Grilled Shrimp and Spinach Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing
The weather has cooled off in the last few days, which has me itching to get out the slow cooker and the stock pots and start making soups. However, I thought I would squeeze in this recipe for Spinach Pear Salad before I switch gears.
I ADORE a ripe juicy pear. My mom always kept them in the house for snacking while I was growing up and I love biting into a pear and slurping all that sweet juice. I don’t cook with them enough and I should. I know, I know, throwing them into a salad can hardly be called cooking. But loved the added sweetness and texture of the pears and against the saltiness of the bacon and the tangy vinegar and oil dressing.
I tossed a few dried cranberries for color and a handful of salted mixed nuts for crunch. The result is a wonderfully elegant salad that packs a lot of satisfaction.
Spinach Pear Salad with Bacon and Tangy Vinaigrette
For the salad:
- 1 10 ounce package fresh baby spinach
- 1 Bartlett pear cored, halved, then thinly sliced
- 1 avocado pitted, halved, then thinly sliced
- 4 bacon slices cooked and chopped
- 1/2 cup salted mixed nuts
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
For the vinaigrette:
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Combine salad ingredients in a large bowl.
In a smaller, separate bowl, whisk together vinaigrette ingredients.
Drizzle vinaigrette over salad.
Toss to combine before serving.