Last updated on September 21st, 2022
No smoker? No problem! The Coca-Cola marinade used for this oven baked brisket is lends a tangy flavor and will melt in your mouth.
The best things come to those who wait. That’s definitely the case with this oven baked brisket. It has to marinate for at least 14 hours, cook for four, and rest for 30 minutes. But don’t let that discourage you. I promise, IT’S WORTH IT! The smell of slow roasting meat wafting from the oven is one of life’s little pleasures. But the time the four-hour cook time is up, you will be salivating in anticipation.
Make the Coca-Cola Marinade
As I mentioned, this recipe requires a minimum of 14 hours to marinate a five-pound beef brisket. Honestly, I prefer to give it 24 hours. I tell you this so you are able to plan ahead.
Start by combining four cups of regular Coca-Cola, one teaspoon of kosher salt, one teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper and three tablespoons of vegetable oil. Lay the brisket in a 9 x 11 x 2-inch baking dish. Pour the marinade over the top of the meat. Place the dish in the refrigerator. Halfway through the marinating time (7-12 hours) flip the meat so both sides can soak up that goodness.
Make the Gravy
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Remove the brisket from the marinade and set aside. Reserve two cup of the Coca-Cola marinade in a medium mixing bowl. Discard any remaining marinade.
To the reserved marinade, add one envelope of dry onion soup mix, one 8-ounce can of tomato sauce and 1/2 cup of tomato ketchup.
How to Make Coca-Cola Marinated Oven Baked Brisket
You should notice that one side of your brisket is covered in a layer of fat. Return the brisket to the baking dish (or place it in a roasting pan) with this fat side facing up. Pour the gravy over the brisket. Spread a layer of thinly sliced onion rings and two whole bay leaves over the top. Cover the brisket with foil and braise it for two hours.
Remove the brisket from the oven and spoon some of that yummy gravy over the top. Cover the pan with a layer of foil again and return it to the oven for an additional two hours.
Remove the brisket from the oven. Allow the brisket to rest for 30 minutes before slicing. Slice brisket against the grain which means you are cutting the meat perpendicular, or across, the meat fibers rather than slicing it in the same direction as the meat fibers. This just breaks up the meat fibers and makes a tough cut of meat more tender and easier to chew. Serve the brisket with the reserved gravy.
Storage, Freezing and Reheating
Storage: Within two hours, store any leftover brisket in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The brisket will keep for 4-7 days.
Freezing: Place the cooled brisket in an airtight container of freezer bag. The brisket will keep in the freezer for up to three months. Allow the meat the thaw before reheating.
Reheating: Thawed, cooked brisket can be reheated for a few minutes in the microwave. Likewise, heat your oven to 350 degrees F. Place the brisket in an oven safe dish, cover and reheat for 20 minutes or until the brisket is heated through.
What to Serve with Coca-Cola Marinated Oven Baked Brisket
- Mashed Potato Casserole
- Roasted Potato Salad
- Baked Beans With Bacon and Ground Beef
- Creamy Mac and Cheese
Coca-Cola Marinated Oven Baked Brisket
- 5 pounds fresh beef brisket
For the Coca-cola marinade:
- 4 cups regular Coca-Cola
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
For the gravy:
- 2 cups reserved Coca-Cola marinade
- 1 envelope dry onion soup mix
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato ketchup
- 1 small yellow onion thinly sliced into rings
- 2 bay leaves
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the marinade ingredients.
- Place brisket in a large non-reactive bowl or baking dish.
- Pour the marinade over the top. Cover completely and marinate brisket in the fridge for at least 14 hours, maximum 24. Halfway through marinating, flip the brisket so both sides can absorb the marinade.
- After 14-24 hours, remove the brisket from the marinade and place in a large roaster.
- Reserve two cups of the marinade. Combine with the onion soup mix, tomato sauce, and ketchup.
- Slowly pour the gravy over the brisket. Top with sliced onions and bay leaves. Cover the roaster with aluminum foil.
- Braise at 325 degrees for four hours. Halfway through, remove the brisket from the oven and spoon some of the gravy from the bottom of the pan over the brisket. Return to the oven to continue cooking.
- Allow brisket to rest for 30 minutes before slicing. Slice brisket against the grain. Serve with reserved gravy.