Bourbon Milk Punch has the creamy flavor of eggnog, but without the raw eggs. Whip up this simple five-ingredient cocktail at your next holiday gathering.
This post may contain affiliate links. Click here to learn more about how affiliate links are used on this site.
If you enjoy the taste of eggnog, but just can’t seem to get past the whole raw eggs thing, Bourbon Milk Punch is for you. Made with heavy cream, whole milk, bourbon, vanilla extract, simple syrup and flavored with a sprinkling of nutmeg, it’s the perfect creamy holiday cocktail.
What is Milk Punch?
There are two types of milk punch. The first is clarified milk punch. This cocktail originated in England and is made by curdling milk. Once the solids are strained, you’re left with a clear, almost colorless liquid that’s in turn used as the base of the cocktail.
The second is a brandy or bourbon milk punch. It’s a popular drink in New Orleans. While the cocktail wasn’t invented in The Big Easy, it’s iconic restaurant, Brennan’s, takes credit for perfecting it.
Ingredients and Tools Needed to Make Milk Punch
With only five ingredients, it’s easy to whip up a classic Bourbon Milk Punch in no time. You’ll need:
- Whole milk
- Heavy whipping cream
- Bourbon – I used Woodford Reserve. Other brands I recommend include Four Roses, Bulleit, Elijah Craig, Knob Creek, or Maker’s Mark. You could also substitute the bourbon for brandy if you prefer.
- Simple syrup – Check out this post for instructions on how to whip up a quick and easy batch of simple syrup at home.
- Shaker – if you don’t have a traditional cocktail shaker, any container with a lid that will allow you to pour the finished cocktail into a glass will work.
How to Make a Bourbon Milk Punch Cocktail
First, pour ¾ cup of whole milk, ¼ cup of heavy cream, two ounces of bourbon, 1 ½ ounces of simple syrup and ½ and ounce of vanilla extract into a shaker. Fill the shaker halfway with ice, then secure the lid and shake the cocktail until it’s chilled. Pour the cocktail into a rocks glass. If you like, you can add a little crushed ice to the glass. Complete the drink with a sprinkle of grated nutmeg or cinnamon.
How Long Will Milk Punch Last?
If you are planning to serve Bourbon Milk Punch at a holiday gathering, you can whip this up in a larger batch and store it in the refrigerator for up to three days. Be sure to shake the punch well before serving.
More Cocktail Recipes You Might Enjoy
- Bourbon Old Fashioned with Vanilla
- Tuaca Pineapple Martini
- Bourbon Eggnog
- Rosemary and Gin Grapefruit Cocktail
Bourbon Milk Punch
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 ounces bourbon
- 1 ½ ounces simple syrup
- ½ ounce vanilla extract
- Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker.
- Fill the shaker with ice.
- Shake vigorously until well-chilled.
- Pour the cocktail into a rocks glass.
- Garnish with grated nutmeg and a cinnamon stick if desired.