I had not originally intended to include this recipe as part of the The Help series because if you go back a year or so ago, you will find my original post on this pie. However, if you’ve read the book or seen the movie – and as a co-worker pointed out – chocolate pie plays a big role in the story.
This is The Husband’s favorite dessert. I first made if for his birthday one year while we were still dating and I’ve made it for every birthday since.
In case you are wondering, no, I’ve never gotten mad at The Husband and done something “terrible awful” to his pie.
Chocolate Meringue Pie
- 1 cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter or shortening, cut into cubes
- 2 to 2-1/2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 cups white sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 egg yolks
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 (9 inch) single crust pie
- 4 egg whites
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- Combine flour and salt. Cut shortening into flour using a food processor or pastry cutter until mixture forms coarse crumbs. Add water and mix just until dough comes together and forms a ball. Chill dough for approximately thirty minutes prior to rolling out.
- Roll dough out onto a floured surface until it is wide enough to cover a 9-inch ungreased pie plate. Carefully drape dough over the pie plate; gently press dough into the corners of the plate. Using a knife or kitchen shears, trim excess dough around the edges of the plate. If desired, crimp edges by using a fork or by making a thumbprint around the perimeter of the crust.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour and cocoa powder. Stir in sugar. Add mixture to a medium saucepan and blend in evaporated milk and vanilla. Beat the egg yolks slightly, and stir into pan until just combined. Add the butter. Heat, stirring constantly, until butter is melted. Pour filling into unbaked pie shell.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the pie looks set when gently shaken.
- In the meantime, beat egg whites using the medium speed of an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating constantly. Add cream of tartar and whip until stiff peaks form.
- Spread meringue on pie.
- Return pie to oven, and bake until meringue is golden, about 10-15 minutes.