Last updated on March 30th, 2023
These are not your typical banana splits! Grilled banana slices and pineapple rolled in cinnamon and sugar are served inside a wedge of grilled angel food cake.
This was probably not what you expected to see the day after Labor Day, huh?
Well, since the beginning of fall feels just as hot and humid as the end of summer, I’m throwing out one more recipe for the grill before I start hauling out pumpkins.
This recipe was fun to make. We have cooked a lot of things on our grill (including soup when we were without power for days after Hurricane Katrina hit), but we don’t often make dessert. This recipe contains banana slices and pineapple, rolled in cinnamon and sugar, and grilled. It’s then served stuffed with melted chocolate in a slice of angel food cake, brushed with melted butter, and also grilled. Seriously, how could this not be good?
It tasted very much like French toast, but with ice cream. It was an excellent farewell send off to summer.
You Might Also Like:
Grilled Banana Splits
- 3 wooden skewers soaked in water
- 4 wedges angel food cake
- 4-1 ounce squares semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 banana peeled, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 rings fresh pineapple cut into 3/4-inch wedges
- Ice cream and your favorite toppings optional
- Thirty minutes prior to grilling, soak wooden skewers in water to prevent burning.
- Prepare grill for medium heat.
- Gently cut a slit into the center of each angel food cake wedge, being careful not to cut all the way through the cake. Place one piece of chocolate into the center of each wedge.
- Brush the outside of each piece of cake with the melted butter.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- Place sliced banana in a small bowl. Pour lemon juice over the banana slices and stir to coat.
- Add banana and pineapple to the cinnamon sugar mixture. Stir to coat.
- Alternate pineapple and banana slices on the skewers.
- Place fruit skewers over the coals. Grill 3 minutes on each side. Remove from heat.
- Place cake wedges on the grill. Grill for 4 minutes on each side or until cake is brown and develops grill marks.
- To serve, place one fruit skewer in the center of each cake wedge. Remove the skewers.
- Serve with ice cream and choice of toppings, if desired.
Wow. I love the idea of the bananas and pineapples dusted in cinnamon sugar, put on skewers, and grilled. That alone would make a pretty rockin’ dessert. Yum!