The Husband and I have been on a salad kick this summer. Maybe it’s because we’ve had the most successful garden EVER this year. Or the fact that for awhile we had cucumbers coming out our ears followed by a plethora of tomatoes. We’ve been rotating through Asian Marinated Cucumber Salad and Tomato, Basil and Mozzarella Salad quite a bit. I’ve tested a few recipes from Pinterest, like Grilled Caprese Chicken Salad with Avocado and Bacon and Asparagus and Italian Chopped Salad (both yummy).
Now we can add Roasted Corn Salad with Honey Lime Dressing into the mix. It’s an old recipe of mine that I blew the dust off and gave some updates for an assignment in a recent issue of eat.drink.MISSISSIPPI. Not only are the colors super vibrant and pretty, but there are so many tastes and textures going on – from the sweet crunchy roasted corn and the cream avocado to the juicy burst of summer from the cherry tomatoes.
This recipe is delicious served the day of, but it’s even better the day after.
- 5 ears fresh corn, in the husk
- ½ of a small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 small cucumber, seeded & finely chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime, plus 1 tablespoon
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 avocado, diced into ½ inch pieces
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees. Place the corn in the oven, in the husk. Roast until husks start to char and the corn is tender inside, about 20 minutes. Corn can also be cooked on the grill in the same manner. Remove corn from the oven and allow to cool. Remove husks. Using a sharp knife, slice the kernels from the cob.
- Place kernels in a large mixing bowl. Add the cucumber, cherry tomatoes and cilantro.
- In a liquid measuring cup, combine lime juice, olive oil, honey, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir until salt is dissolved. Pour the dressing over the salad. Stir to combine. Salad is best when allowed to chill for several hours before serving.
- Just before serving, toss the avocado in the remaining lime juice. Gently fold the avocado into the salad.