I love quiche.
Does that make me sound snooty? ‘Cause I don’t care. I really do love it.
I love the flaky pie crust. I love all the fillings. I love that if you don’t go overboard, quiche can be pretty economical to make. It can be cheap and elegant. That’s an almost impossible combo to come by.
I’ve never met a quiche I didn’t like. This asparagus, bacon, and pepper jack quiche is no exception. Fluffy eggs is the perfect backdrop for the salty bacon and spicy pepper jack cheese. The asparagus arranged on top makes it a show stopper. It’s perfect for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner.
This recipe works with either a 9-inch pie plate or tart pan, or can be adapted to individual “mini” tarts. I prefer the mini pans myself because you get more crust. The crust is the best part, right?
- Pie crust dough for one 9-inch pie plate or tart pan (if using mini tart pans, you will need two crusts)
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 8 ounces pepper jack cheese, grated
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 fresh asparagus stalks, trimmed
- Gently fit pie crust dough to pie plate or tart pan. Trim or flute edges. Place pan in the refrigerator and chill dough for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove pan from refrigerator. Line each crust with waxed paper and fill shells with pie plates or dried bean. Bake crusts for about 12-14 minutes, remove weights or beans, then bake for an additional 8-10 minutes until crusts are golden brown. Remove pre-baked shell from the oven and allow to cool slightly on a wire rack. Do not turn off the oven.
- In a large bowl, combine bacon and cheese. Add eggs, milk, salt, and pepper and mix until well-combined. Pour mixture into prebaked pie shell. Carefully arrange the asparagus in a circular pattern or if making mini quiches, place one asparagus in the center of each quiche.
- Return quiche to the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes or until the top are slightly browned and the middle of the quiche is set.
- Remove quiche from the oven and allow the quiches to sit for 10 minutes before serving.