Homemade Shrimp Stock
Add a whole new level of flavor to your seafood dishes. Learn how to make your own shrimp stock from seafood shells at home. It's easy!
Servings 6 cups
- Shells from 2 pounds of shrimp
- 1 small onion peeled and quartered
- 1 large carrot cut into fourths
- 1 celery stalk cut into fourths
- 3 garlic cloves peeled and left whole
- Fresh herbs such as rosemary thyme, or sage, tied together with kitchen twine
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon whole peppercorns
- ½ gallon of cold water
Place first eight ingredients in a large stock pot.
Cover with water and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium. Cover pot and simmer for 45 minutes to one hour.
Strain the stock through a fine mesh colander to remove the solids. Discard solids.
Use immediately or it will keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Unused stock can be frozen or canned using the pressure canning method. Follow your manufacturer’s directions.