Tortellini with Roasted Tomatillo Sauce
This tortellini sauce has a some Latin American flair. Tomatillos are roasted with garlic and olive oil, blended with fresh spinach and roasted tomatoes, then tossed with queso fresco cheese.
Servings 4 people
- 8 medium sized tomatillos husks removed
- 6 whole cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1 bag 10 oz. cheese tortellini pasta
- 4 cups raw loosely packed spinach leaves
- ¼ cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 10 cherry tomatoes halved
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crumbled queso fresco cheese
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Quarter tomatillos. Place on a baking sheet with garlic cloves. Drizzle tomatillos and garlic cloves with olive oil. Place in oven and roast for 35 minutes.
Combine roasted tomatillos, garlic, spinach, broth, oregano, thyme, sugar, salt, and pepper flakes in a blender or food processor. Process until sauce is smooth and well blended. Season with salt and pepper.
Cook tortellini according to package directions. While pasta is cooking, drizzle tomatoes with remaining olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in oven for 8 – 10 minutes. Add roasted tomatoes to warm, drained pasta. Pour tomatillo sauce over pasta and toss to combine. Garnish each plate with crumbled queso fresco cheese.