Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
This yummy chicken and sausage gumbo recipe has a taste of New Orleans in ever bite. It's loaded with chicken, smoked sausage, vegetables and spices.
Servings 8 people
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 pound andouille sausage cut into ¼-inch slices
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped
- 1/3 pound smoked sausage cut into ¼-inch slices
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups fresh or frozen okra
- 2 tablespoons Creole seasoning
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup piquante sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Filé powder to taste
- 2 cups cooked white rice
Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium high heat.
Gradually add flour, stirring constantly to make a roux. Continue stirring until roux becomes very dark brown.
Reduce heat to low and add next nine ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring often.
Add remaining ingredients except file' powder. Return to a simmer, cover, and cook for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
Remove and discard bay leaf.
Place a generous amount of cooked rice into individual bowls.
Pour gumbo over rice.
Sprinkle with file powder.
Serving: 2cups | Calories: 442kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 5.5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6.6g | Sodium: 771mg | Potassium: 505mg | Fiber: 1.1g | Sugar: 1.8g | Vitamin A: 210IU | Vitamin C: 12.4mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 1.6mg