Chicken Meatballs with Apricot Bourbon Sauce
This chicken meatball recipe is the perfect appetizer! It's glazed in a sweet and sour mixture of bourbon, apricot preserves, mustard, and chili garlic sauce.
Servings 4 people
For the Apricot Bourbon Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ medium yellow onion about ½ cup, diced
- 2 medium cloves of garlic about 2 teaspoons, minced
- 1 cup apricot preserves
- 1 cup chili sauce
- ½ cup bourbon
- ⅓ cup cider vinegar
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- For the meatballs:
- 1 pound ground chicken sausage casings removed
- 2 large eggs slightly beaten
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Oil for frying
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until onion is tender and translucent, about five minutes. Add garlic and sauté for an additional 30 seconds.
Combine the remaining sauce ingredients. Add to the pan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside. Sauce with thicken as it cools.
Form chicken sausage into 2-inch meatballs. Roll meatballs in eggs. Then coat with flour.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Working in batches if needed, add meatballs to hot oil and fry until outside is golden brown and meatballs are cooked through, about 5-7 minutes. Drain meatballs on paper towels.
Serve meatballs alongside Apricot Bourbon Sauce for dipping