Oven Baked Eggs with Andouille and Black Beans
Black beans, andouille sausage, and tomatoes are simmered in a slow cooker. Right before serving top with runny oven baked eggs and cheese. Perfect comfort food!
Servings 6 people
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 jalapeno peppers diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes or 4 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound andouille or smoked sausage sliced
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 handful cilantro chopped, optional
- 1 ripe avocado sliced, optional
Combine all ingredients except cilantro, eggs, cheese, and avocado in the crock of a slow cooker.
Cook on low for six hours or high for three hours.
Preheat the broiler. Spoon mixture into an 8 x 8 casserole dish or into six individual oven-safe 16 ounce ramekins. Sprinkle with cheese.
Using the back of a spoon, make and indention in the sausage-bean mixture for each of the eggs. Crack one egg into the center of each indention. Broil until eggs are cooked to your preference, 5-7 minutes for runny eggs, 7-10 minutes for eggs that are more well-done.
Garnish each serving with cilantro and avocado slices, if desired.