Tomato Basil Soup
This classic and easy tomato basil soup recipe is slowly simmered with diced tomatoes, onions, garlic, basil, and other fresh herbs.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil or ¼ cup fresh leaves, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano or ½ teaspoon fresh
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon fresh
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add garlic and cook until translucent.
Add garlic and cook until just fragrant.
Stir in tomato paste.
Add chicken broth, tomatoes, herbs, and white wine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
Puree soup in batches using a blender or food processor or by an immersion blender. Season with salt and pepper.
Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with shredded Parmesan if desired.