New England Clam Chowder
Creamy, homemade New England clam chowder recipe is loaded with briny clams and bacon. It's perfect for cold winter nights.
Cook Time 47 minutes
Total Time 47 minutes
Servings 10 people
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 3 celery ribs diced
- 2 slices bacon
- 5 potatoes peeled and cut into cubes
- 5 cups clam juice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 48 littleneck clams or 2 (15 oz.) good quality canned clams, juice reserved, coarsely chopped
- 5 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
Melt the butter in a large stockpot over medium-high heat.
Add the onion, celery, and bacon and sauté for 5-7 minutes.
Add potatoes, clam juice, bay leaves, tarragon, and celery salt. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 35 minutes.
Stir in the clams, and continue to simmer uncovered for another 5 minutes.
Add Worcestershire sauce, heavy cream, salt, and pepper. Simmer for another 7 minutes.
Remove and discard bay leaves.