This easy minestrone soup recipe gets a Southern-style makeover with black eyed peas, red beans, collard greens and okra.
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 4 people
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small white onion chopped
- ½ cup sliced okra or 1 zucchini, quartered then diced
- ½ cup chopped fresh green beans
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 15 ounce can red beans , rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen black-eyed peas
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- ½ cup sliced carrots
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1½ cups water
- 3 cups fresh collard greens stems removed, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup small shell pasta optional
- Salt to taste
In a large stockpot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion, okra or zucchini, green beans, celery, and garlic. Sauté until onion turns translucent, about five minutes.
Add chicken broth, red beans, black eyed peas, tomatoes, carrots, seasonings, and water. Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered for about 20 minutes.
Add collard greens and pasta, return the lid to the pot and bring soup back to a simmer. Cook for an additional 20 minutes or until black eyed peas and collard greens are tender. Season with salt.