Cannellini Bean, Sausage and Kale Soup
Inspired by Fine Cooking Magazine
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 4 people
- 1 lb. sweet or hot bulk Italian sausage removed from casings
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium celery stalk finely chopped
- 2 Tbs. tomato paste
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 2 quarts chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 15 oz. cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 oz. kale center ribs removed, leaves chopped (about 4 firmly packed cups)
- 1-1/2 tsp. cider vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Grated Parmesan cheese optional
Cook Italian sausage over medium heat. Break the meat into pieces with a spoon. Remove sausage from the pot and set aside. Reserve and drippings. Add additional olive oil to the pot if needed.
Add the onion, carrot, and celery and cook stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften, approximately 6 minutes.
Add the tomato paste and garlic. Stir to combine and cook until garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Pour in the broth, beans, and kale. Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
Return the cooked sausage back to the pan and stir until heated through. Add the cider vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish individual bowls with Parmesan cheese if desired.