This Asian noodle salad is packed with fresh veggies and seasoned with an light Asian-inspired dressing. Serve hot or cold, it’s perfect for a picnic.
Last night at about 9 pm, I walked outside and was immediately bowled over by how muggy it was.
It’s officially summer in the ‘Sip, ya’ll.
And you know what? That’s fine by me! I’m a warm weather girl. I HATE being cold. I’ve been looking for every excuse to get the boys outside. They have a sand box, a plastic wading pool from Fred’s Super Dollar Store and a freezer stocked with popsicles. As far as I’m concerned, that’s the making of an awesome summer right there.
This is also the time of year when The Husband gets the itch to start grilling. That means I can lounge in my lawn chair in the shade of the back porch while he takes care of dinner. I might offer to contribute something, but only if it’s easy and can be made ahead of time. Do not mess with mama while she’s lounging in her lawn chair.
This Asian pasta salad has quickly become one of my favorites. It’s a nice departure from the typical pasta salad recipes that make the circuit during the summer. It’s loaded with fresh veggies and the light Asian dressing lends perfectly for travel like, say, a summer picnic? Even better, it can be made completely ahead of time. In fact, it gets better the longer the flavors have a chance to marry.
Now, excuse me. I’m going to go put my feet up and enjoy sticky popsicles with my boys.
Asian Noodle Salad
- 1 pound 16 oz. spaghetti
- 1 12oz bag frozen edamame
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger or 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon vegetable or canola oil
- 1 large red bell pepper sliced into thin strips then cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large cucumber peeled, seeded and sliced into thin strips then cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup lightly salted roasted peanuts
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and diced
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- Prepare edamame according to package directions. Allow edamame to cool.
- In the meantime, combine soy sauce, garlic, ginger, vinegar, sesame oil, and vegetable oil in a medium mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Drain pasta once it is al dente. Toss pasta with vegetables, cilantro, edamame, peanuts, and chicken.
- Pour dressing over salad right before serving. Toss to coat evenly.
- Salad can be served warm or cold.