Salsa verde chicken lettuce wraps recipe is the perfect healthy weeknight meal or light supper for the hot summer month. Tender Bibb lettuce is stuffed with shredded chicken, salsa verde sauce, avocado and ribbons of purple cabbage.
The Husband and I try to eat healthy during the week. But finding quick, healthy meals that aren’t pasta laden casseroles can be hard. Some of my go-to quick dinner staples, like tacos, are off limits.
That is, until I started experimenting with lettuce wraps. I wasn’t sure what to expect the first time I made them on my own. My previous experience with lettuce wraps was underwhelming. They were bland and I felt like I was eating diet food. Who enjoys eating diet food?
The first time I served lettuce wraps, I adapted my pork carnitas recipe. And you know what? It was actually delicious! As delicious as a warm tortilla? No, of course now. But delicious enough that I didn’t feel like I was eating diet food.
That got me thinking about other variations I could come up with. In high school, my best friend and I were obsessed with chicken soft tacos from Taco Bell. That sounded like a good starting point.
How to Make Salsa Verde Chicken Lettuce Wraps
To save time, make sure you have some precooked shredded chicken on hand. The last time The Husband and I made Beer Can Chicken, I intentionally saved the leftovers. You could also throw a couple seasoned chicken breasts in the oven during the week. However, if you find yourself without and shredded, cooked chicken you can always purchase a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.
Combine your shredded chicken with ½ – 1 cup of salsa verde sauce, such as my homemade tomatillo salsa verde sauce. You can serve the lettuce wraps hot or cold. I prefer to warm my chicken up a bit in the microwave.
I find Bibb lettuce makes the best “shell” for lettuce wraps. My grocery store sells it as living lettuce. It’s tender enough to wrap around your fillings and has a neutral flavor that won’t compete with whatever you stuff inside. Now, it’s just a matter of toppings.
You gotta have slice avocado, am I right? I chose to include ribbons of thinly sliced purple cabbage for a pop of color. And I like the soft, salty flavor of fresh crumbled queso fresco so much in my carnitas, I decided to bring it over for this recipe too. Don’t forget the cilantro!
These salsa verde chicken lettuce wraps are anything but bland. They are ideal for a quick weeknight meal or light dinner during the hot summer months.
You Might Also Like:
Salsa Verde Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup salsa verde sauce*
- 1 head Bibb lettuce
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced purple cabbage
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- ½ cup crumbled queso fresco cheese
- Fresh limes cut into wedges
- Combine shredded chicken with salsa verde sauce. Add more or less to your preference.
- Salsa verde chicken lettuce wraps can be served hot or cold. I prefer to eat them hot, so I heat my chicken meat up in the microwave.
- Trim several whole Bibb lettuces leaves from the head of lettuce. Spoon two tablespoons of the salsa verde chicken mixture down the center of each leaf.
- Tuck a couple of avocado slices around the chicken. Top with purple cabbage, cilantro and queso fresco cheese.
- Drizzle with fresh lime juice. Wrap the lettuce leaf around the filling and enjoy.