These seasoned grilled chicken sliders are topped with zesty coleslaw, a cool lime and sour cream sauce and served on sweet Hawaiian rolls.
Is anyone else’s husband or significant other like mine in that when the weather heats up they want to grill literally everything in sight?
As I’m sitting down to make out the meal plan for the week, I ask The Husband, “What do you want for dinner this week?”
His response, “What can we grill?”
I’m not complaining. Because when The Husband grills, that usually means I get a pass to kick my feet up and drink a beer.
I have been hanging on to this recipe for almost a year. I thought they would be a fun change from the standard hot dog and hamburger fare. I’m not at all a coleslaw fan, but I have to say it is a must on this sandwich. When combined with the cool sour cream sauce and the sweet bread, it is a fantastic meal to beat the heat.
Baja Chicken Sliders
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 1/4 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 cup broccoli coleslaw mix
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves 4 ounces each
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 8 Hawaiian sweet rolls split
- 1 cup mixed greens or torn lettuce
- 8 slices tomato
- In a small bowl, mix together the sour cream, lime peel and lime juice.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the slaw ingredients. Chill both the sauce and the slaw until serving.
- To make the sliders, cut each chicken breast in half widthwise then flatten to 1/2-in. thickness.
- Mix together the cumin, chili powder, salt, and ground black pepper. Sprinkle each breast on both sides with seasonings.
- Place chicken on a prepared gas or charcoal grill. Grill for 6-7 minutes per side until the internal temperature reaches 180 degrees and the center of the chicken is no longer pink.
- Place roll cut side down on the grill for 30-60 seconds until lightly toasted.
- To assemble the sliders, place a small amount of lettuce and a tomato on each roll. Top with a chicken breast, cole slaw mix, then drizzle the top with the sauce.