For years I have always made my Mom’s recipe for pot roast. In fact, the recipe is so simple and I have made it so many times that I can throw it together without even looking at the recipe – one chuck roast, one can of cream of mushroom soup, one packet of onion soup mix, a little salt, a little pepper, some potatoes and carrots. Throw it in the crock pot for 6-8 hours and dinner is ready. Easy peasy.
That doesn’t mean I’m not open to trying new things. Like this recipe, for instance. It contains ingredients I had never considered using to season a pot roast such as tomatoes and anchovy paste. I couldn’t pass it up.
I really like the hearty depth of flavor these ingredients gave to the roast. If you are going to give this recipe a try, please don’t turn your nose up at the anchovy paste. It’s such a small amount and I promise your pot roast isn’t going to taste like fish. It just adds a little salty richness to the dish, and you may eventually find yourself including a little anchovy paste into more of your cooking.
This pot roast is not a meal you are going to be able to throw together five minutes before you leave for work in the morning because there is some prep work involved. I’ll stick to my mom’s recipe for that. But if you have a little time one morning, make time to give this a try.
Slow Cooker Italian-Style Pot Roast
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon anchovy paste
- 1 tablespoon beef boullion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (3-4 lb.) boneless chuck roast, seasoned with salt and black pepper
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pound small white potatoes
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- In a small bowl, combine garlic, flour, tomato paste, anchovy paste, and beef bouillon. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add roast and cook until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes per side. Add roast to a 4-6 quart slow cooker. Place skillet back on the heat.
- Add flour to hot skillet. Stir constantly and cook for 1 minute to remove the raw flour taste.
- Deglaze the pan with the red wine, scraping up and browned bits. Continue to cook until wine is reduced by one-third, stirring frequently. Add the tomatoes with juice, bay leaves, sage, rosemary, nutmeg, salt, and red pepper flakes. Bring mixture to a boil and cook for 3-4 minutes until mixture is thick. Pour mixture over roast in the slow cooker.
- Arrange potatoes and carrots around the roast. Cover and cook until meat is tender, about 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low. Remove roast to a platter. Arrange vegetables about the roast. Strain the remaining sauce and serve alongside the roast and vegetables.