Six Refreshing Beverages to Beat the Heat . . . and Link Love!
What’s this I hear about our country enduring the worst drought in 56 years?
No rain usually means unbearable heat. And dead gardens. My cucumber plant, that was absolutely thriving about six weeks ago, decided the heat was just too much and checked out early.
During times like this I wonder how our grandparents survived without air-conditioning.
And then I realize one day my children will probably wonder how I ever survived my formative years without a cell phone and the internet.
You kids just have no idea how easy you got it these days. Why, back in my day there was no Google! No Wikipedia! If you wanted information right there at your fingertips, you had to lug around a complete set of Encyclopedia Britannica’s, uphill, both ways, along with a pocketful of quarters in case you needed to call someone from a pay phone.
Okay, so I might be exaggerating
just a little. I blame the heat. I need something cool to drink.
1. Beer Margaritas – combines two refreshing adult beverages, beer and margaritas.
2. Homemade Pink Lemonade – the summer I was pregnant with Little Tot, this and ice cream was about the only thing that helped me survive. I drank gallons of lemonade that summer!
3. Vanilla Bean Old Fashioned – if you are a more traditional drinker, you might like this slightly different spin on a classic.
4. Southern Sweet Tea – we Southerners like our sweet tea.
5. Blackberry Limeade – this is fantastic ya’ll! If you make nothing else on this list, make this.
6. Gangster Martini – this martini combines Tuaca, amaretto, vodka, pineapple juice, and Maraschino cherries. Proceed with caution though. This is one of those yummy drinks that will sneak up on you, meaning that before you know it you have had like – 11 – and you are suddenly tanked.
And now for some link love! These are a few beautiful beverage recipes that I have added to my pinboards lately.
- White Sangria Sparkler from Linda Wagner – the brightly color fruit in this drink is so pretty, I almost want to make it just to look at it.
- Vermontucky Lemonade from Smitten Kitchen. The Husband and I have actually made this drink several times already. It’s a yummy spin on traditional lemonade.
- Vootbeer from Creative Culinary. It’s a root beer float with vodka. Heck ya.
- Blackberry, Lemon, & Thyme soda from Petite Kitchenesse – I love the flavor combo of blackberry and lime.
- Cherry Limeade from The Novice Chef – made these ALL last summer. They taste like the actual drink from Sonic. Not sure why I haven’t made them yet this summer. Need to get on that.