Who Is the Woman Under the Veil?
I am Lisa, a thirty-something-year old “bride” living in the Jackson, Mississippi, metro area. By day I am a wife, mother, and freelance writer. By night, I am a cook, amateur photographer, and food blogger.
Growing up, it was my Dad that loved cooking. I have memories as a small child of my Dad pushing a kitchen chair up to the counter so I could stand beside him and help him prepare whatever it was we were having for dinner that night. We used to pretend that we were chefs in a five-star restaurant and my mother was a very important customer. I credit my willingness to try new and unusual recipes to the adventurous streak my father had with his cooking. Sometimes they were great and sometimes they weren’t, but that was the fun part.
In 2006, I officially became a bride when I married my wonderful and devastatingly handsome college sweetheart. In August 2010, we welcomed our first child.
I started this blog because it combines two of my biggest passions: writing and cooking. I can’t promise you content to rival that found in the pages Bon Appetit. And I can’t promise food-porn quality photos. I am a working wife and mother. The recipes you see here are what I serve my family. Half the time I am lucky to snap a few photos before my husband starts rolling his eyes because his food is getting cold.
I hope you enjoy reading this blog as much as I enjoy writing it. I love getting feedback so please, please, please leave me a comment and let me know what you think (as long as it’s nice).
Contributing Writer for
- eat. drink. MISSISSIPPI
- Eat Jackson
- Mississippi Magazine
- Portico Magazine
- Town and Gown Magazine
- Field editor for Taste of Home
- Blueberry Bourbon Pound Cake included in Foodista’s “10 Best Blueberry Recipes” – June 30, 2011
- Bacon Cheddar Muffins included in “Snacks and Hors D’oeuvres for Any Party” on Yummly – July 3, 2011
- Gangster Martini included in “10 Modern Martinis for the James Bond in Everyone” on Yummly – August 9, 2011
- Homemade Pimento Cheese included in “Box lunch: Smokin’ hot trends and frisbee pizzas” on CNN Eatocracy August 12, 2011
- Mamaw’s Chicken and Dumplings included in Gourmet Live’s “Weekly Roundup: Dumplings in Demand” on October 7, 2011
- Vegetable Beef Soup featured on Katie Brown Home Workshop in “Fall Soup Recipes” – October 2011
- “In the Bloglight” feature in the February 2012 issue of eat. drink. MISSISSIPPI
- Barbecue Pulled Pork Nachos included in Yummly’s Nibbles and Bits “10 Tasty Ways to Use Homemade Tortillas” on February 25, 2012.
- Strawberry Basil Pops featured in the “What’s Hot” section of eat. drink. Mississippi – August / September 2012 issue
- Grilled Shrimp with Cherry Tomatoes on Linguine included in LA Times Food Twitter #Weekendeats highlights: It’s a pasta party – July 16, 2012
- Grilled Shrimp with Cherry Tomatoes on Linguine DailyBuzz Food Top 9 – August 13, 2012
- Peach Lavendar Jam – DailyBuzz Food Top 9: A Jar of Jam – September 4, 2012
- BLT Wedge Salad included in Yummly’s Nibbles and Bits “10 Tasty Ways to Serve a BLT” on September 14, 2012
- Grilled Banana Splits – DailyBuzz Food Top 9: From the Grill – September 20, 2012
- Chicken, Cheddar, and Black Bean Quiche included in Huffpost Taste “Black Bean Recipes: Soup, Chili, Tacos And More” – October 9, 2012
- Funnel Cakes included in the October 29, 2012 issue of Bonbon Break.
- Zinfandel Cranberry Sauce included in LA Times Food “Twitter #Weekendeats highlights: Thanksgiving prep” November 12, 2012
- Mashed Cauliflower and Cheese Gratin included in Yahoo! Shine Supper Club November 2012
- The Cooking Bride’s 2012 Year in Review featured on DailyBuzz Food Top 9: A Look Back at 2012 – January 2, 2013
- Cheesy Corn Casserole included in DailyBuzz Food Top 9 Write with Us: Casseroles – January 16, 2013
- Mississippi Minestrone featured on Bonbon Break’s “In the Kitchen” – January 23, 2013
- Buttermilk Pancakes with Homemade Orange Syrup included in LA Times Food “Twitter #WeekendEats Highlights: Sugar Rush“
- Fish and Chip Cakes featured on DailyBuzz Food Top 9: St. Patrick’s Day – March 13, 2013
- Baked Eggs with Hollandaise Sauce featured in BonBon Break’s “In the Kitchen” – April 8, 2013
- Strawberry Pavlovas included in DailyBuzz Food Top 9 Write with Us: Strawberries – April 24, 2013
- Basic Homemade Strawberry Jam featured in May 2013 issue of Town and Gown Magazine.
- Fresh Strawberry Ice Cream included in DailyBuzz Food’s Top 9: We All Scream for Ice Cream! on May 20, 2013
Photos on this page by Alisa Chapman Photography.